- Federal Minister Scheuer announces another 16 winners in the BMVI initiative “HyLand – Hydrogen Regions in Germany”
- Funds come from the National Innovation Program Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Technology (NIP2): 13 HyExperts regions each receive € 300,000 for concepts and € 20 million for each of the three HyPerformer regions for the implementation of existing concepts
- Coordination with other German and European H2 regions should meaningfully network activities
Berlin–16 other German regions will in the future rely on hydrogen from renewable energies: Andreas Scheuer, Federal Minister of Transport and Digital Infrastructure, today announced the winners who had applied as HyExperts and HyPerformer in the competition HyLand. This will provide 13 HyExpert regions with 300,000 euros each to develop and calculate concrete project ideas for hydrogen concepts. For the three winners of the HyPerformer category, 20 million euros each are available in the form of investment grants to implement existing regional concepts with hydrogen and fuel cells. The project volume of the three HyPerformers totals 195 million euros.
The winners in the category HyExperts:
- City of Brake
- County of Emsland
- City of Essen
- town Frankfurt am Main
- City of Fulda
- City of Ingolstadt
- Kreis Lippe
- County of Oberallgäu
- County of Osterholz
- Circle Recklinghausen
- State of Saarland
- City of Ulm
- County of Wunsiedel in the Fichtelgebirge
The winners in the HyPerformer category:
- Landshut Region (with the counties Munich and Ebersberg)
- Metropolitan Region Northwest (Oldenburg and surroundings)
- Metropolregion Rhein-Neckar (around Mannheim and Heidelberg)
As early as September 2019, nine hydrogen regions were announced , which as HyStarter will be supported in terms of organization and content to train an actor landscape (politics, municipal enterprises, industry, trade, society) and to jointly present initial concept ideas on the topics of hydrogen and fuel cells renewable energies in transport, but also in the areas of heat, electricity and storage.
HyLand is part of the National Innovation Program Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Technology (NIP), the NOW GmbH is a federal company coordinator of the initiative. At the heart of the HyLand regions is the integration of renewable hydrogen in the transport sector to show the potential contribution to achieving the CO2 reduction targets. In addition, the federal government currently promotes 20 nationwide laboratories. In 12 of these companies will be testing hydrogen technologies on an industrial scale in the future. The use of regional synergies can increase the competitiveness of green hydrogen. The concept of hydrogen regions is also being implemented at European level: the provinces of Groningen, Drenthe and Friesland in the north of the Netherlands are to become the “Hydrogen Valley”. For this, the European Commission provided 20 million euros in October 2019. For the success of the projects and the broad impact on the market, the coordination of the diverse activities will be crucial.