- McGowan Government commits $5.5 million to new planning works and studies for Mid West Hydrogen Hub.
- Mid-West attracting international interest for its renewable hydrogen potential.
- Supports activation of Oakajee Strategic Industrial Area (SIA), and job-creating projects for the region.
The McGowan Government is accelerating the development of the Mid West Hydrogen Hub, with $5.5 million for planning works and studies.
Hydrogen Industry Minister Alannah MacTiernan announced the funding today at the Mid West Major Projects conference in Geraldton.
The planning works and studies will be undertaken over the next 12-18 months by the Department of Jobs, Tourism, Science and Innovation, and include:
- $3 million for Western Power to undertake a feasibility study on electricity connection of the Oakajee SIA to the South West Interconnected System, working closely with Energy Policy WA;
- $1.2 million for DevelopmentWA to undertake land planning works;
- $600,000 to undertake cultural heritage works;
- $500,000 to undertake a joint study with the Port of Rotterdam and Mid West Ports Authority, examining the export of hydrogen products from the region;
- $400,000 to prepare project approval plans, and undertake further feasibility studies on hydrogen demand initiatives and common user infrastructure for the hub; and
- $300,000 for Water Corporation to undertake water supply studies.
Located approximately 435 kilometres north of Perth and 23km north of Geraldton, the Oakajee SIA is a key component of the Mid West Hydrogen Hub.
Recognised for its world-class wind and solar energy potential, the Oakajee SIA is an ideal site for the production of renewable hydrogen, including for domestic and commercial use, advanced manufacturing and export.
The new funding builds on the McGowan Government’s $7.5 million commitment for an access road into the Oakajee SIA to kick-start activation of the precinct.
At the Mid West Major Projects conference, the Minister also announced the State Government’s Industrial Lands Panel had approved Oakajee SIA land allocation.
The Industrial Lands Panel has agreed to allocate land to six proposals from companies with an interest in developing hydrogen-related projects at Oakajee SIA, pending the finalisation of key terms negotiations with DevelopmentWA.
Comments attributed to Hydrogen Industry Minister Alannah MacTiernan:
“The Mid West Hydrogen Hub is key to unlocking the full potential of the Oakajee SIA.
“The McGowan Government is committing an additional $5.5 million to planning works and studies that will help fast-track the development of the hub.
“The Mid-West has attracted international interest for its renewable hydrogen potential, and we are providing support needed to make these job-creating projects a reality.”
Comments attributed to Geraldton MLA Lara Dalton:
“The Mid West Hydrogen Hub represents a significant opportunity to transform the region’s economy and embrace a cleaner future.
“Thank you to Minister MacTiernan for believing in the potential of the Mid West Hydrogen Hub to become a world-class exporter of renewable hydrogen; it is pleasing to see this transformative project take another step forward today.”
Read the most up to date Fuel Cell and Hydrogen Industry news at FuelCellsWorks