On June 10, 2019, we featured this story on Hyundai Rotem and Hyundai Motor.
Hyundai Rotem announced on Monday that it signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with Hyundai Motor’s Mabuchi Research Institute to cooperate with Hyundai Motor in the development of hydrogen-electric trains.
Through this Memorandum of Understanding, HMC will supply hydrogen fuel cells for technology development and support related technologies, and Hyundai Rotem will develop and verify system interfaces between hydrogen fuel cells and vehicles, along with the production of hydrogen-electric trains. Hyundai Motor and Hyundai Rotem decided to establish a separate technical cooperation organization based on this MOU and establish a close cooperation system.
Hydrogen electric trains are eco-friendly vehicles that do not emit pollutants other than water. They do not require electric power supply facilities such as electric cables and substations, which can save electricity infrastructure construction and maintenance costs.
Hyundai Rotem has been developing this train since January this year. It is designed as a low-profile tram-type platform and aims to travel at a maximum speed of 70km / h and a maximum travel distance of 200km / h. The tentative train will be completed by 2020.
Hyundai Rotem plans to show a prototype of hydrogen-electric trains before Busan International Railway Technology Industry to be held in BEXCO, Busan from 12th to 15th. In addition, Hyundai Rotem plans to further develop hydrogen-electric trams, hydrogen-electric trains and hydrogen-electric locomotives based on Hyundai’s technical support.
The scale of hydrogen-electric trains around the world is about 600 billion dollars, and it is expected to gradually expand with the growth of the hydrogen-electric trains market. In Korea, it is necessary to substitute diesel rail vehicles for carbon emissions.
Hyundai Rotem official said, “We will be the first to develop hydrogen-electric trains in Korea by collaborating with Hyundai Motor, which has a unique technology for hydrogen fuel cells, and we will preempt the related market.” Based on accumulated know-how and research and development achievements, I will do my best. ”
On the other hand, Hyundai Rotem is strengthening research and development for securing future railway technology through R & D of car systems such as hydrogen electric tram and development of smart train technology based on 4th industrial technology.
- The hydrogen fuel cell tram uses fuel cells and batteries to power them and can drive up to 200 kilometers on a single charge of hydrogen.
- It can cover long-distance and high-demand routes, making it possible to compensate for the shortcomings of battery-type trams that can only travel a short distance.
- Given the expanding demand of the urban rail network, hydrogen trams can be used as tram-trains connecting cities or suburbs.
- When the fuel cell is activated, air purification is created. So it can purify the air in the city center as well as zero pollutants.
- Hydrogen fuel with high energy density is suitable for long-distance, high-demand routes.
- Modular fuel cells, hydrogen tanks, and cooling systems are installed on the roof.
- Simplified inverter, high-efficiency DC / DC converter, water-cooled PMSM motor, and ESS battery were applied to maximize space utilization, and the efficiency was further increased through the regenerative braking system.
- Hydrogen fuel cells are used as the main power source, and high-performance capacitors are applied to the installed batteries.
- Hyundai Rotem’s hydrogen fuel cell tram reduces energy consumption by minimizing hydrogen consumption by extending battery life through real-time control.
- The energy distribution system and optimized driving control made this possible.
- Hydrogen and oxygen react in the electrolyte membrane in the power train to which the polymer electrolyte fuel cell is applied to produce electricity.
- The air purified through the air filter, membrane humidification filter, and gas diffusion material meets hydrogen in the electrolyte membrane to make electricity and discharge oxygen and water. This is how you make electricity and discharge clean air and water.
- By optimizing the regenerative braking energy, we were able to reduce the weight and cost by minimizing the size of the ESS battery.
- Since the fuel cell system is less efficient at the time of departure or at low speeds and at low loads, it runs the motor with the energy stored in the ESS.
- In high load situations, such as when accelerating, the fuel cell becomes more efficient, so the ESS is used as the main power source and some power source.
- When driving at high speeds, the fuel cell is operated to maintain the speed and send the remaining energy to the ESS to charge the battery.
- When reducing the speed, the motor’s regenerative braking system is activated to charge the battery.
- The dedicated charging port allows you to charge hydrogen safely and quickly.
Read the most up to date Fuel Cell and Hydrogen Industry news at FuelCellsWorks